Friday, September 02, 2005

zydeco et moi

the streets are quiet, the skateboarders and trampoline jumpers are in new togs sitting in old desks writing old things with new pencils. some glimmers of the yellow to come in a month or so flash as the wind streaks by. the house smells cold in the mornings, and some afternoons, most evenings.

the weekend blows down the drive in a hurry, twisting the leaves to show yellow and green streaks,too. although i don't normally teach on fridays, i also am not teaching on monday so students who were going to miss two mondays in a row of lessons are coming today instead. i loathe the first lesson after a long vacation, fingers fumbling, eyes glazed over with forget so, partially out of the goodness of my heart (the mother doesn't lose her twenty-five bucks) but mostly because i want to avoid a glazed-over lazy lesson, i'll be sitting inside teaching as the weekend mutters in the driveway.

henry will spend the night with grandmama and grandpa. i think he must have been hungry when i asked him what he was going to do at grandmama's house because he said that he "wants to eat a really good sandwich, chicken, fries, ketchup, pizza and coke." he will pack his bag and will run into the house shouting, "henry's here!" jude will come with his mama and will pass out due to good music bouncing off of the water, the people, the fat-fried-five-dollar "really good sandwiches."

hooray! i love the weekend!



I keep six honest serving men
(they taught me all I knew);
their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
I send them over land and sea,
I send them east and west;
But after they have worked for me,
I give them all a rest.

I let them rest from nine till five,
for I am busy then,
As well as breakfast, lunch, and tea,
For they are hungry men:
But different folks have different views;
I know a person small --
She keeps ten million serving-men,
Who get no rest at all!
She sends 'em abroad on her own affairs,
From the second she opens her eyes --
One million Hows, two million Wheres,
And seven million Whys!

kipling, just so stories.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great picture!
How is everyone doing?
tell ernie i say hello...
if you go to www.xanga.com/dangerdan you can see some of my latest pieces (if interested, of course)

9:13 AM
Blogger the little weird guy with a french accent said...

I like kiplings poems. I've been reading my parents to sleep with the "just so storys.":)

10:01 AM

Post a Comment

<< Home